Your Leading Repair Shop in Pineville to Fix an Ignition Coil Failure in Your Jaguarby Dutch Silverstein June 25, 2022
There are few cars that are recognized for their elegance, comfort, and luxury like Jaguars. Their high-performance and smooth driving experience make them one of the most prestigious and sought-after cars in the world. The Jaguar is still susceptible to ignition coil failure, regardless of how elegant and efficient it is. It would be impossible to start your car without a properly-functioning ignition coil.
To maintain the maximum level of performance from your Jaguar, it is extremely important to have your car continuously inspected and maintained by Jaguar automotive experts.
A failing ignition coil shows warning signs, just like any other car issue. If you suspect a problem, it needs attention. The importance of understanding ignition coils, what they do, and what signs may indicate that they will fail, cannot be overstated.
What is an ignition coil?
The ignition coil is an induction coil that helps to amplify the voltage provided by your car’s battery to a higher voltage. The high voltage electricity is then utilized to produce power that is adequate for the spark plug to generate a spark, igniting the fuel in the car engine thereby starting off the combustion cycle.
The ignition coil makes driving more enjoyable for Jaguar owners. By ensuring the car runs smoothly, the car runs more efficiently. It would be difficult for your car to accelerate as expected, and you would get poor gas mileage, if an ignition coil fails.
Jaguars are notorious to suffer ignition coil failures, so to avoid any approaching issues, ensure that your Jaguar is properly and thoroughly inspected often by a Jaguar specialist.
Potential Causes of Ignition Coil Failure
The ignition coil, like every other automobile part, is prone to failure, and a variety of reasons might cause it to fail or be damaged. The following scenarios can help us understand how your Jaguar’s performance can be reduced or exhausted as a result of a faulty ignition coil.
- Contact Corrosion: High humidity in the engine can cause corrosion of the contacts on the ignition coils, resulting in lower conductivity. The engine’s excessive humidity is the outcome of engine washing.
- Mechanical Damage: This is a result of the damage to the ignition cables, which was due to a failed valve cover gasket. It can also be caused by damaged insulation or engine oil leaks. Ignition coil damage can render the ignition coil inoperable and dangerous, as the risk of spark increases exponentially.
- Short Circuits: Every electronic part is prone to having short circuits. The ignition coil is not left out as it is also an electronic part. Short circuits in ignition coils are a result of coil overheating, which can be caused by increased engine temperatures, module failure, ECU issues, or worn-out coils.
Signs and Symptoms of a Faulty Ignition Coil
When the ignition coil fails or is failing, the driver will usually be alerted through a variety of clear signs, which need to be addressed quickly to prevent further damage:
- Spark Plugs: If you notice that your spark plugs are failing, then it is a sign of the negative effect of the failed ignition coil. This is because a failed ignition coil produces dangerous power surges that can damage the spark plug. It might even force the coils in the spark plugs to work extra hard, wearing out in the process.
- Vibrating Engine: While driving your Jaguar, if you notice that the engine vibrates or shudders more intensely. It is an indication that some of its delicate interior parts, like the ignition coil, are damaged.
- Engine Overheating: Engine overheating is a primary cause of ignition coil failure. If you notice that anytime your car’s engine overheats there is always an associated ignition problem, your ignition coil is most certainly damaged and requires the immediate attention of an automotive expert.
Jaguar Automotive Specialists You Can Trust in Pineville
When it comes to Jaguar ignition coil failure or any other Jaguar problem, A&M Auto Service will help! We strive to diagnose problems and repair them as quickly as possible to minimize the negative impact on your daily life.
To create happy customers and avoid costly dealer visits in the future, we always do the job right the first time. We not only work on Jaguars and other European vehicles but also offer OEM parts and certified expert services.
Jaguar drivers from Pineville and the neighboring locations, such as Charlotte and Greensboro, NC, are always welcome! Regardless of your location, our experienced automotive experts will treat you as if you were a member of the family. Call us today!