Audi Oxygen Sensor Failure: Causes & Symptomsby Dutch Silverstein May 7, 2021
Your Audi is a finely-tuned machine, and if one component is faulty, it can have a significant impact on your engine’s performance. To keep your Audi running at peak performance, you need to ensure that your Oxygen (O2) sensor operates properly.
Your engine uses oxygen and fuel to keep it running. The O2 sensor makes sure you have enough of both. If you experience any issues with your Audi or suspect that your oxygen sensor is malfunctioning, have it checked out by our team of ASE-certified technicians today.
Air, Fuel, and the Oxygen Sensor
The oxygen sensor in your Audi ensures that your car has the correct mixture of oxygen and fuel by measuring the amount of oxygen that comes in contact with the sensor. The sensor also makes sure that your Audi does not produce excessive pollution.
The amount of oxygen that it detects will adjust the amount of fuel injected into the engine. The optimal ratio of oxygen to fuel is 14.7 to 1. If there is too much or too little oxygen, it will cause pollution and damage to your Audi. If your Audi runs rich or lean, it is time to get it checked out by our team of experienced professionals.
- Rich mixture: Not enough oxygen compared to fuel is called having a rich mixture. Without enough oxygen, your fuel will not completely burn.
- Lean mixture: There is less fuel than oxygen. Leads to a jerky ride and damage to your engine.
All cars after 1981 are required by law to have oxygen sensors installed, and after 1996 a second sensor is required for the catalytic converter. Based on your car, you could have up to four oxygen sensors.
Causes of Oxygen Sensor Failures in Audis
Below are some of the common reasons why your O2 sensor may fail:
- Wear and tear: Over time, components naturally fail. With most modern automobiles, an O2 sensor can last up to 100,000
- Fuel: Audis are high-performing machines and need to use the recommended fuel to run properly. Using low-quality fuel will make your O2 sensor fail faster.
- Dirt and Debris: If the sensor gets coated by dirt and debris, it will stop functioning properly and will need to be replaced. Not replacing spark plugs or air filters on time could also cause additional buildup on O2 sensors over time.
Ensure that you use the appropriate fuel for your Audi and that you perform the recommended maintenance on your vehicle, such as air filter and spark place replacements on time. If you need help figuring out if you have an oxygen sensor problem, see us today.
Symptoms of a Bad Oxygen Sensor
Now that you know what causes a bad O2 sensor, it is important to understand what signs and symptoms that you should look out for. The following are the signs of a bad oxygen sensor:
- Check engine light: Your check engine light will come on if your sensor detects an issue with your O2 sensor.
- Runs rough: A bad O2 sensor will cause your engine to misfire or run erratically. You may also notice poor performance.
- Poor fuel economy: With poor oxygen to fuel ratio, the engine will have to work harder to run, which will cause you to use more fuel.
If you are experiencing any of these issues, you need to have your Audi checked out by our team of professionals specializing in Audi repair. Do not wait to get your oxygen sensor replaced because it not only causes poor performance, but it can also cause significant damage to your engine.
Get Your Oxygen Sensor Repaired at A&M Auto Service
A&M Auto Service is the best place to get your oxygen sensor replaced on your Audi. Our ASE-certified technicians have over 25 years of experience and can have your European, import, or domestic vehicle running like new.
We are the #1 repair center located in Pineville, NC. We are also proud to serve the surrounding areas of:
Our technicians are equipped with the best tools and technology to get you back on the road fast. We can handle any task from routine service to engine repair. All repairs are back with a nationwide 3 year/36,000 mile parts and labor warranty.
We take pride in providing our customers with honest no-hassle pricing that dealerships can not compete against. Visit or call us today. We look forward to seeing you.