What Causes Metal Shavings In Your Porsche’s Oil?by Dutch Silverstein December 9, 2022
Porsches are luxury cars with a high level of performance. These vehicles are one of the most desirable sports cars on the market, and so their owners put much pride and effort into their performance. Consequently, finding metal shavings in the engine oil can be a very disappointing experience.
In this article, we will discuss what the possible causes are, the potential damage to your vehicle, and how to prevent future occurrences.
Factors Contributing To Metal Shavings In Porsche Oil
Causes of metal shavings in a vehicle’s oil can be attributed to several factors. Some of those factors include:
- Contaminated Oil: Your car’s high-quality parts can be damaged by contaminated oil, resulting in many problems. Dirty oil contains particles that cause friction instead of properly lubricating your automobile’s engine. As a result of this friction, metal shavings can be created and end up in your oil. These metals can accumulate over time and cause significantly more problems if left unattended.
- Substandard oil: Substandard oil can cause the engine to wear out more quickly. It is crucial to use high-grade engine oil when driving a luxury vehicle. Low quality oil will cause more friction and more metal shavings. Consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual or your mechanic for guidance if you are not sure which oil to use.
- Normal wear and tear: This is sometimes a problem that cannot be prevented. Cars are subject to normal wear and tear, which can cause damage. It is common for shavings and metal parts to crumble in the oil as a result of mechanical stress applied to engine parts over time. As a result of metal shavings in the oil, the engine’s performance and longevity may be adversely affected; this is one of the primary reasons why proper oil changes are so important.
- Inexperienced servicing: Metal shavings can also be the fault of the mechanic who previously serviced your Porsche. An experienced technician certified in the Porsche brand is the best person to handle your Porsche model, which is a complicated system of mechanics and technology. Your current mechanic may make mistakes if they do not have experience with high-end automobiles.
- Irregular maintenance: The condition of irregular maintenance is similar to that of dirty oil. To maintain the vehicle properly, oil changes, other fluid changes, and other types of maintenance must be followed regularly.
How Can Metal Shavings In Your Porsche’s Oil Cause Damage?
When metal shavings are present in the engine oil, the oil cannot lubricate the engine properly. It is unlikely that the engine will perform at peak performance if all parts are not lubricated. The problem can worsen if a driver does not notice the symptoms quickly.
In addition to not lubricating all parts of the engine properly, the oil may not circulate at all. Consequently, there could be catastrophic metal warping, complete engine failure, or even a fire hazard with an engine that ignites due to lack of circulation.
How To Tell If Your Oil Contains Metal Shavings
Those unaware that their Porsche is experiencing this issue may find it helpful to learn some symptoms to watch for. It is highly recommended that you contact our vehicle technicians as soon as possible if you notice any of the following warning indicators.
- Low engine power: The oil in your car may be contaminated, or the filter may be damaged if your car struggles to accelerate.
- Ticking noises: The presence of metal shavings in engine oil can reduce the smooth flow of the oil, resulting in a decrease in lubrication and a ticking sound.
- Rough idles: As a result of inadequate lubrication, friction may also develop between the different components of the engine. You might experience excessive vibration or shaking when your car is idling.
- White exhaust fumes: You should be concerned if you see white smoke coming out of your car’s exhaust, as this may indicate a buildup of oil in the cylinders. Do not hesitate to take your car to a repair shop if you notice any.
A&M Auto Service: Your Best Bet
Your Porsche is in good hands at A&M Auto Service. With decades of experience, we provide quality service in Pineville, Charlotte, and Greensboro, NC. A thorough inspection of your vehicle will be conducted to identify the source of the shavings and how to properly deal with them. Porsche is one of our specialties, and our team is well-versed in the brand, its potential problems, and how to resolve any problems correctly the first time. Book an appointment now.